This method is reference to The International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) Pre-shipment Test Procedures 1996.
1. On-site Carton Drop Check
Usually, we use the Ten Time Carton Drop method if the customer has no special requirements.
2. Ten Time Carton Drop
1. Checking Method:
1) Inspect the products inside carton and make sure they are “good” samples.
2) Repack them as per original packing method.
3) Perform carton drop test according to the WI for which Drop test method will be adopted.
3. Drop test height is determinted by carton weight
Packaged - Product Weight
Equal to or Greater than
But Less than
For example, if the weight of a carton is 25kg, greater than 18.6kg but less than 27.7kg, the drop test height of this carton is 18 inches.
4. Drop or impact the packaged product according to the following sequence
Drop or impact the packaged product according to the following sequence:
Ø One corner-the joins of edges with staples or gum are considered weaker than the other edges.
1. Test the most fragile face-3 corner, if not known, test the 2-3-5 corner.
Ø Three edges-3 different length (long, width and height) radiating from the dropped corner.
1. The shortest edge radiating from the corner tested.
2. The next longest edge from the corner tested.
3. The longest edge radiating from the corner tested.
Ø Six face-All flat surfaces.
1. Flat on one of the smallest face.
2. Flat on the opposite small face.
3. Flat on one of the medium face.
4. Flat on the opposite medium face.
5. Flat on one of the largest face.
6. Flat on the opposite large face.
Note: Should select a concrete floor to perform the Drop Check.
5. After drop test, inspector shall open the carton and follow the steps
1) Check whether packaging is damaged or
2) Inspect the products again to check any defectives, which shall include the Product appearance and functions.
3) Selected the samples from the critical area (Most in the dropped corner).
4) Whole carton or minimum 24 units will be inspected.
6. Kindly tips for drop test
-In any case, drop check cannot be performed is due to some other reasons (for instance: lack of manpower, complicated packaging method…etc.), we must call supervisor for confirmation, then we must state the reasons on the inspection report for applicant reference.
-It is very important to have well planning on performing the In case the goods are packed with blister card, clam shell blister or tightened with strings, we shall inspect some units up to a certain quantity first (quantity for one carton) and ask the factory to re-pack them immediately for our testing instead of arrange the test at the end of the inspection.
7. Eleven Time Carton Drop
Some customers may choose eleven time carton drop. For this drop:
1) Standard based on DIN 55 440/ PZT (Deutsche Bundespost )
2) Drop test height of eleven time carton drop is similar to that of ten time carton drop.
3) Drop the carton with the following sequence (11times)
-1 (the most fragile face-3 corner. if not known, test the corner which in the joint of carton), 8 on the corner
-2, 3, 4, 9, 10 on the edge
-5, 6, 7, 11 flat on surface
Notes: The surface on which the drops are made must be solid steel or concrete. Wooden floor is not acceptable as a drop surface under any circumstances.
4) Checking condition and Acceptance Criteria:
-The items inside the sample carton should be inspected with “Good” result;
-Repacked the unit as per the shipping configuration;
-Perform the carton dropping;
-Inspect the packaging to see whether it is damaged;
-Up to 36 pieces of packed items would be inspected if the pack size is greater than 36;
-Item would be selected from the dropped corner and the projected edges of the carton;
-Inspect the item inside by visual check, functional check and safety checks.
8. Drop test is an important part of your shipment inspection
As most of the products supply chains are located in countries far away from the brand buyers and the products cartons should be transferred for a long distance, it is essential to conduct a carton drop test before shipment to ensure the products are fully protected and can bear collision during transportation. Also, every consumer doesn’t want to receive a product with poor package. Products like home appliances, beauty makeup products, children toys, textiles and garments, and ceramics are highly suggested processing carton drop test before shipment.
Free Sample Report Performance Quality Control
Download a sample report to keep control of your supply chain!