13 Essential Garment Inspection Checklist in Quality Control
Quality control inspections are especially important when purchasing garments and appeal so third-party inspection has become a key part of many garments importers’ supply chain. With an inspection team of Testcoo on the ground, you can see exactly how your products look without needing to personally visit the factory to check. But you need to clearly specify your requirements and steps for inspection to get a truly accurate report of your order’s quality.
The essential tests performed by our inspectors in final random inspection (FRI) during an onsite inspection of garments and apparel:
- Drop Test
- Assortment check
- Metal detection
- Color shade check
- Function check
- Reliability test for Zipper/button/snap or any other functional component
- GSM test per fabric type (not applicable for sweater/cardigan or any other woolen product)
- Product Size / Weight Measurement
- Tape test on printed label
- Fitting check
- Barcode scan check(At least on piece per barcode type)
- Tension test
1. Drop Test
With reference to ISTA 1A drop test method. Drop the package eleven (11) times from 31-76 cm on a bare, hard (concrete) floor. The package or product should not be damaged after the test.
2. Assortment check
The packing assortment should be correct as client's requirement and package marking for all selected cartons for all selected cartons.
3. Metal detection
In the garment and apparel industry, metal detecting devices are utilized to detect needles that may have been accidentally lodged in finished garments. It is also necessary to ensure that garments and apparel meant to be sold or exported are devoid of all sorts of metal contaminants. Our inspectors use metal detecting devices to ensure that no broken needle or metal should be detected for all selected cartons.
4. Color shade check
According to client's requirement. If no client’s requirement, please adopt below:
- a. No color shade within same pieces is allowed.
- b. The color shade within same set (such as top and bottom) with grey scale 4-5 allowed for dark color, with grey scale 5 allowed for light color.
- c. The color shade in the whole shipment with grey scale 4 allowed for dark color, with grey scale 4-5 is allowed for light color.
5. Function check
The functional components should run smoothly without jam or any malfunction issue.
6. Reliability test for Zipper/button/snap or any other functional component
Open and close the tested component back and forth 20 times, the component should be remained good as it's after the test.
7. GSM test per fabric type (not applicable for sweater/cardigan or any other woolen product)
According to client's specification. Apply +/- 3% tolerance if no detail tolerance issued or requirement from client.
8. Product Size / Weight Measurement
According to product spec or approved sample. Apply +/- 3% if no detail tolerance issued or requirement from client.
9. Tape test on printed label
Use 3M tape for testing. The marking should not peel off.
- a. Use 3M adhesive tape paste on the marking, let the tape paste more firm by pressing
- b Tear off the tape on 45 degrees fast.
- c. Check the tape and the sample whether the marking peeling off or not
10. Fitting check
The product should fit the intended model or person well.
11. Barcode scan check (At least on piece per barcode type)
The barcode must be scannable and with the correct number.
12. Tension test
Applicable for the small accessory, such as snap, button, bow, zipper puller, etc... Reach to the required tension force within 5S, then hold 10S: (1)50 N(D<6 mm); (2) 90 N (D>6 mm). The tested parts should not be broken and detached, there should not be sharp edge, sharp point, or small part after test.
13. Odor check
Any strong/bad smell of colorants, adjuvants or mold need to be checked and reported
Contact our garments and apparel quality assurance experts to customize your inspection requirements as Testcoo inspection service coverage across 25 countries in Asia, Africa, EU and Americas.
Free Sample Report Performance Quality Control
Download a sample report to keep control of your supply chain!
- Brand New Inspection Experience, Online now!
- How Should Traditional Inspection Industry Transit In Industrial 4.0 Era
- How Do We Make 1+1 More Than 2. Testcoo Knows
- Valentine’s Inspection Knowledge
- Starting Your Importing Business From China (Part 1)
- Time To Worry About Your Partner Factory
- Xiaomi In No Hurry For International Expansion
- Critical Rise Imported Car Sales In South Korea
- Boeing is building its first overseas factory in China
- “315 Evening Gala”——Savior of China’s Quality Issues